Constitution of THE NORWEGIAN SOCIETY FOR ENGLISH STUDIES
Confirmed at the General Meeting of NORSES, 12 June 2018.
I. Name, Purpose and Activities
(1) The society shall be known as the Norwegian Society for English Studies (NORSES).
(2) Its aims shall be
(a) to advance research and study in Norway of English language, Anglophone literature and cultures;
(b) to maintain contacts with similar organizations in Europe and overseas. This includes affiliating to the European Society for the Study of English (ESSE) on behalf of members and nominating a representative to the Board of ESSE;
(c) to arrange triannual conferences of English studies, and whatever other symposia and/or meetings are deemed fitting.
II. Membership and Subscription
(1) Voting membership in the Association is open to any person active in the field of English studies in institutions of higher education responsible for the teaching of English in Norway.
Membership is open to other scholars at the discretion of the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee shall have the right of final decision on the admission of members.
(2) The rate of admission fees and membership dues is fixed by the Executive Committee.
III. General Meetings
(1) General Meetings shall be held on a triannual basis.
(2) Decisions at a General Meeting shall be taken by a simple majority of members present and voting, except that a decision to dissolve the Association shall require a two-thirds majority of those present and voting.
(3) The quorum for a General Meeting shall be five members with voting rights. A meeting which is not quorate may nevertheless advise the Executive Committee.
(4) The President and the Treasurer are each required to submit a report to the General Meeting on activities since the last General Meeting, and the meeting shall be invited to approve these reports. The Treasurer’s report shall include financial accounts for the period since the preceding General Meeting.
IV. The Executive Committee and Election
(1) There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of a minimum of five members, as fixed by a General Meeting. The members of the Committee shall include a President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, and at least two further representatives.
(2) The election of the members of the Executive Committee takes place at the General Meeting of the Association, or alternatively, by email. Only members of the Association may vote and hold office. Any members of NORSES may be elected to any of the executive offices of President, Secretary and Treasurer.
(3) The members of the Executive Committee shall be elected to serve for two-year periods. If any of the places on the committee are not filled by election at a General Meeting, or if members resign between meetings, the Committee shall have the power to co-opt replacement members if they deem it necessary.
(4) Meetings of the Executive Committee are convened by the President when such meeting is deemed to be necessary or when the majority of the members demand it. The Executive Committee shall be quorate if four of its members, including the President, are present.
(5) The Executive Committee is empowered to act on behalf of the Association and to implement the decisions of General Meetings as they see fit. Decisions of the Executive Committee shall be by a simple majority of those voting, except that a unanimous decision of the remaining members of the committee shall be required to dissolve the Association.
Decisions of the committee may be taken by electronic communication and do not require a meeting at which members are physically present, but all members of the committee must be invited to vote on any decision of the committee.
(6) The General Meeting may instruct the Executive Committee in all matters but the committee shall hold full executive power to act at their discretion as circumstances dictate.
(7) Decisions relating to affiliation and membership of ESSE shall be taken by members of the committee. A separate accounting shall be kept by the Treasurer for funds from subscription payments from institutions affiliating to ESSE through NORSES.
(8) Signatory rule: The association documents are signed by the president or the treasurer in association with a member.
V. Dissolution of the Association
The Association may be dissolved by a two-thirds majority of a General Meeting, or by a nem. con. vote of the Executive Committee. In the event of the Association being dissolved, the Executive Committee shall dispose of any remaining funds owned by the Association in a manner which in
their view will best further the aims of the Association, with the proviso that no such funds may be paid over to any individual or individuals for their personal benefit or use. Any motion to dissolve the association must be made public to all members at least a minimum of one month in advance.